Saturday, July 11, 2009

Getting a Game Plan


I've been thinking about the best way to tackle this All You Grocery Challenge. A lot. Like when I went to the grand opening of Sprouts Market and tried to decide between two russets at 69 cents a pound or a 5 pound bag of russets for 1.99 or so. Given that the premise is that I have $50 a week to spend (or will as on Monday), it should be a no-brainer. The bag of taters has a lower cost per pound. But I thought about waste... would I really use all the potatoes before they sprout eyes and turn soft? Where is the money savings in that?


As I think about my game plan, I find myself thinking about the rules. One in particular: You can use stockpiled food to supplement your weekly budget. The challenge starts on a Monday. I would think that a lot of people shopped on the weekends. I normally do. I could rush out and buy loads of stuff to stockpile, but that somehow feels like cheating. I want to rely on the things I already have "stockpiled." Yes, I went shopping today. Spent about $35 dollars at Sprouts, but I was able to pick up ribeye steak for 4.99 a pound and cheddar cheese for $1.77/lb. And I got a resuable bag of goodies for being one of the first 200! Gotta love free!


So, how am I going to approach this experiment?


1. I could (and should) plan a menu. But it has been a very long time since Tuesday was Taco night in my household. Come to think of it, Tuesday never was taco night in my household. I think growing up we had tacos on Fridays, or Wednesdays, or whatever days. If there is one thing I have learned, it is that I can say "let's have such and such for dinner" in the morning, but by the time I get home from work, a frozen pizza or a short drive to one of our favorite diners is much more to my liking. So my menu plan needs to have a Plan B as well as a Plan A. Perhaps a C too.


2. I need to carry cash. It is way too easy to disregard how much money is spent when you swipe that debit card. A few things here, a few things there. It adds up. Plus cash would allow me to give my hubby "an allowance" for his coffee or breakfasts out.


3. One word. Coupons.


4. Another word. Sales. There are several markets within a 10-15 minute drive. Some of the specialty/ethnic markets offer great values on produce. What produce I need to buy, that is. Which leads me to another word:


5. Garden. Our garden is really starting to produce. I have a bunch of squash I need to parboil and seal for freezing (I am glad that I don't have to count the price of the Food Saver!) Let's see, there is also eggplant and cucumbers. Oh, and squash! And I can't forget the squash... all EIGHT varieties of summer squash.


Don't ask.


The exitement of having a garden may have made me temporarily insane. Either that, or I must really, really lkie squash!


No comments: