Friday, July 10, 2009

Back to Business


It has been 2 years since my last post. So many times I had thought about blogging about our house hunt. Especially when we had looked at what seemed like a bajillion houses and signed so many offers that I thought my hand would fall off. Then I thought about blogging about becoming a new home owner and a DIYer... not to mention the joys and frustrations of living in a house that has been in a constant state of remodel for nine months. And that baby is no where close to being born! Maybe I will touch on this in another post on another day.


What brings me back to blogging?


A challenge.


Not a challenge to blog. A challenge to spend no more than $25 per person per week on groceries. This includes eating out AND Starbucks. It's the All You Grocery Challenge.


That's 25 bucks a person. A whole 3.57 a day! 3.58 on Sundays. Some people spend that much a day on coffee! Not me. I only spend about two-thirds of that. Maybe.


Breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, coffee... all for $3.50ish. At first it sounded do-able. When I broke it down, it sounded a bit... hmmmmm, scary (for the lack of a better word). But now... well, it's challenging!


But this is a challenge I am up to meeting! It will require a complete, and I do me COMPLETE change in how I do things now. It is so easy to grab a bite out rely on conveniece food. One time I looked at how much we spent in one month on just restaurants and Starbucks... it was EIGHT TIMES what this challenge allows. Whoa. I will have to go back to planning meals and clipping coupons. Of course, I also need to get my husband (THE Starbucks fanatic in our household... he goes so much they GAVE him a special Starbucks Gold Card) to cooperate. I am blessed, though, because he is supprtive. I am sure that he will be game!


I know I need to develop new habits. The amazing thing is, there are people that limit themselves to this kind of budget ALL THE TIME! I figure if they can do it, so can I!


So, this blog will serve as my record of the adventure that awaits. Let's see what's in store!

No comments: